Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Trust me, I'm a electrician!




Today In a converted landfill site I took diplomacy to a whole different level. The landfill site had once been a garage attached to a multiple occupancy house in Fishermead. For anyone who is not familiar with MK’s Fishermead estate it’s a little like Beirut, but with less Hezbollah. So, despite Terry Waite still refusing to go there, I bravely climbed my way through Steptoe & sons W.C. to change the meter whilst being instructed by an ex-employee of just how much better my life would be working for the Ghanaian Electricity Board. Whilst on the face of it my life does need a little tweaking at present, I really wasn’t sure how much I trusted the opinions of an unemployed ‘Stig of the dump’ whose electrical knowledge amounted to pointing to an empty lamp holder and asking “what kind of bulb would be best”?
Anyway I told him of our piss poor wages and virtually no perks, and I gave him my manager’s telephone number just in case he ever got really desperate

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Fishermead, but the picture you paint is so delightful that I'm inclined to suggest it to Lisa for our next short break. Do they have any charity shops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sort of have charity shops. If you go in with a knife or a gun they will generally let you take what ever you want. At least that is what they say in the paper every week!

    ReplyDelete