Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 March 2011

That was the week that was

Sunday (last)
We went to Cafe Ganges, or as I was to find out later in the week Ganges Lounge and ate as much as a loose pair of trousers would allow. I think that they may have changed the name while we were in there in some kind of end of fiscal year tax avoidance scam. It was still a top meal all the same, and as much as anyone’s belly-eye combination could manage.
Monday
Monday’s child was full of wind!
Tuesday
We visited the flying fox where we are well known to the staff as the Scenario People which came about after us using the Fox as base camp for our weekly meetings to discuss the film script ‘Cursed’ and sitcom ‘15 Minutes’ many years previous. I had the rib eye steak with a brandy peppercorn sauce and a tower of precariously balanced Jenga chunky chips and locally caught vegetables. Pete went for the mixed grill of unfathomable animals with a meat side salad, and extra meat, whilst I seem to recall Alan whipping a dead hedgehog out from under his trench coat and asking the waitress ‘what she could do with that’? Anyway it all went swimmingly and a fine time was had by all except Pete who had to pay for it.
Wednesday
It was a long punishing day fitting Electricity, topped off with my turn at the on call. Early evening, I had an emergency call to a part of Northampton whose residents made the three fingered inbred’s in Wrong Turn seem welcoming. The woman who I had to visit clearly wasn’t well, and shut her dog in the front room and then proceeded to shout at it through the closed door. The dog, for its part shouted back. I soon was convinced that they must have a sort of Guide dog type relationship like ‘Hearing dogs for the deaf’ or ‘dogs for the blind’ I think though in this case it was more Annoying dogs for people with tourettes. During a particularly vicious verbal attack on the animal’s dubious parentage I managed to slip out the door and back to my van.
At home later I was preparing to go to bed only to be called again. This time it was to Kettering. So at 11-30pm I was stood chatting with a young couple about the pros and cons of electric key meters, who then invited me in to listen to their gas meter. Despite protesting that I knew nothing of gas appliances they demanded that I passed judgement on the whistling meter of doom. I heard nothing, and stated my case in no uncertain terms, at which point they said “Ah, it must be because you are old”
Thursday
I met the bloke who owns Ganges Lounge and despite not electrocuting either him or his family he never offered any kind of free, discounted or tempting offers to be reclaimed at his restaurant.
Friday
I had a call from one of the other engineers to ask for some assistance in wiring and energising MK’s first three Electric Car pick up points outside Iceland. When I got there it was like a re-enactment of a 1970’s time and motion study with 5 guys stood around a high tech electrical post discussing who could do what and when. The upshot was more electrically minded people were drafted in and finally after about 2 hours two posts glowed like Christmas trees while the third pulled a sicky. As we left more men were called.
Saturday
I made two purpose built (slightly oversized) planter troughs out of wood to transfer our already budding well established Clematis too.
We ate courgette pasta and I got a little drunk
Sunday
Transferred the two clematis from the old broken boxes to the new troughs and then basked in the early afternoon sunshine and glory of another DIY success.

No comments:

Post a Comment