Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 May 2011

Fools Paradise

‘A fool and his money are soon parted, like Bobby Charlton’s hair.’ I am paraphrasing obviously and taking liberties with fools the world over, but today THIS FOOL was taking no prisoners while searching for essential stuff at Milton Keynes International Bowl car boot sale. Yes, incredible as it might seem people across the world (but particularly the eastern bloc) flock to the Bowl to buy hooky stuff from the large divot near the Watling Street and where Bon Jovi, Queen, the Police and Michael Jackson kindly give up their work for a pound and a bakers dozen of toilets rolls is often unlucky for some!
I couldn’t help but start to rifle through the ‘bald man with a big van’s’ fine collection of rusty spanners in display biscuit tins whilst starting to ponder about the ethics of selling used underwear when I came across a porta-studio laying next to a sketch of Paul Gascoigne. I quizzed the man selling the TEAC 144 if it was the actual 144 that Bruce Springsteen recorded Nebraska on but unfortunately he couldn’t confirm it, so immediately dropped his ridiculous price of four pounds to £3. In principle it was a done deal, apart from my additional demands of a sturdy bag and an 18 month no quibble guarantee which he was verbally able to give, promising all relevant paperwork would be sent in the post first thing on Monday.

Anyway when I got it home I soon realised that it didn’t work so I cursed his ‘big van, bald man’ ways until in desperation I replaced the plug fuse and it burst into life and I got a little Trevor Horn.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, how exciting! I can't wait to hear your multi-layered bass harmonies in action. And see your sketch of Paul Gascoigne. You did buy it, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, you are indeed very perceptive in the ear department. My 6 fingered counter melodies will be a joy to behold, much like a bored cornish shop keeper.
    I have forwarded on my copy of the artwork for your perusal.

    ReplyDelete